Tuesday, December 14, 2010

It's been a while...

 


So it has been a while since my last post.  Tourist season has begun and with it has come endless days full of safaris and ridiculous amounts of British clients who couldn’t be thicker if they tried.  A typical safari conversation flows in the following manner:

British client:  “So are we on the lake now?”

Me:  “yes”

British client:  “So there is water underneath us right now?”

Me:  …. “yes”

British client:  “So it’s frozen right?”

Me:  “no these are Jesus-dogs, they can walk on water”

British client:  “Do all the dogs have names”

Me:  …seriously?  “No that one is dog 1, that one is dog 2, that one is dog 3…”

British client:  “Why is that one called White?”

Me: …”Because he is white…”

You would not believe how many times I am asked these questions.  No but seriously I really enjoy having the clients around.  It is nice to have some fresh faces and everyone really seems to enjoy dog sledding.  So many people say it is the best thing they have ever done even when they just do the 2k loop. 

Yesterday we did 3 different safaris.  We had short breaks in the morning where groups come every hour, complete a 2k loop and then leave after enjoying a warm cup of juice in our cozy kota (otherwise known as a teepee).  Then in the afternoon we drove the dogs to another location where we drove 400 people around a short 1k loop next to an ice castle they have built here in Lapland.  The castle doesn’t look like much from the exterior, but inside it is incredible what they have completed.  I only got to briefly walk through before the sledding groups arrived but if I get more time in the future I will try to take some pics for everyone.

Although I am working very hard, I only become tired when I stop moving.  This means that I usually don’t want to stop for lunch because then the exhaustion sets in and I don’t want to go back outside!  But you push on anyway because the dogs are simply incredible to work with and at least I (not all of the guides feel this way) want to spend as much time with them as possible. 

My favorite dog is currently sleeping next to me on the couch.  His name is Bino (because he looks half albino) and he is one great dog.  His eyes are so crystal blue they are almost white and every time I approach his cage he constantly jumps about with excitement.  He is rather shy when meeting new people and tall guys especially scare him.  For example one guide here is 6’2” and Bino runs away from him every time he comes near.  I’ve had to go get him from the cage several times for Emile now because he can’t catch Bino.  It’s hilarious.  He is a very smart dog but not quite lead material.  Last night when I went to get him out of his cage to take him home with me, his roommate Sausage was trying with the utmost effort to escape.  I had Bino in one hand and was attempting to force Sausage back into the cage with the other when Bino slipped from my fingers.  I cannot explain how scary it is to lose a dog.  Every time someone is loose there is typically a fight or a dog in heat becomes pregnant.  In either scenario it is a big deal and results in vet bills and dogs that can’t run due to injuries.  I quickly shut the cage door and frantically turned around, prepared to have to chase Bino all over the farm but when I looked down, he was sitting right behind me, patiently waiting for his harness.  The feeling of relief was amazing.  I couldn’t believe that he trusted me enough to not run away.  I will be terribly sad when I have to leave and can’t take him with me.
 


My other favorite dog is called Atlas.  He is very sweet and majestic in appearance.  He reminds me of Mufasa from the Lion King for some reason I can’t quite put my finger on.  Although he is a slight dog in terms of physical build, he is unbelievably strong!  I took him home with me one night and made the mistake of just using a lead and harness instead of a belt, meaning that I had to control him with my arms versus the center of my body.  I swear I had grown new biceps by the time I got home!  He pulled me all the way, with me half running behind him.  The good thing was I cut my travel time nearly in half so that it only took 20min to get home instead of 30!

Well folks I feel like there are so many things to tell and describe but I am so tired I think it is more important for me to sleep.  The upcoming weeks are the busiest of the season and days off will become a thing of the past at least for a while.  Tomorrow we have short breaks in the morning, day breaks in the afternoon, and optional safaris at night.  It will be a long day and a cold one.  -28C at the moment and it is snowing lightly outside.  We could really use a good snow storm.  It hasn’t truly snowed here in almost 6 weeks.  Before a nap I think I am going to walk Bino to the store so I will touch back sometime in the future but it may not be for a few weeks due to our busy schedule.  Much love to everyone and I hope you are all happy, safe and healthy!  Happy Holidays from Santa land!

Em



4 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Emily Marie. I love you and miss you. Wonderful to read your blog and see the pictures..hope you can write again before the holidays. I would love to have one of their puppies. Do they drink hot chocolate? Take care. I miss you so much! Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emily Marie!! Great to hear from you. It has been a while. I thought you had gone completely to the dogs!!! ha! Glad you are doing well and enjoying your dogs and the experiences. It has been bitter cold here in Iowa and we had a little snow, Saturday, but 65 mph winds that caused blizzard conditions. Gene went to dr. yesterday and got a good report. Doesn't go back for 6 months. Great Christmas present. I plan to go spend Thurs. with Grandma, weather permitting. I will take her your blog. We miss you and wish you a very Merry Christmas. Stay healthy, happy and safe. Write whenever you get a minute. We love hearing about your days and especially the experiences with the dogs. Take care We love you. Carolyn Gene and Grandma too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've tried and tried to post a comment. Happy New Year! Hope you are healthy, happy and warm. We love you, Carolyn Gene Grandma S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ms. Emily - It has been a long, long while since we have heard from you. When you get a minute, drop us a note. Spent yesterday with Grandma. She is doing ok. I warmed the car and we went for a ride. Got her out in the fresh air and see some snowy countryside. Hope all is well wih you. We are anxious to hear from you. Love, Aunt Carolyn,

    ReplyDelete