Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring time in Ireland

This is why I never keep a journal.  I am absolutely terrible at updating anything that involves my day-to-day activities.  Sorry folks!  But in all actuality Ireland is relatively dull compared to my life in Lapland.  I love it nonetheless, however, as I now have time to...read a book!  Something I have not managed to do in years if you disregard the odd textbook on dna and mutagenesis.  :)  I have now read the Stieg Larsson series, Empress Orchid, The Help, some James Harriot books and the LOTR trilogy (yes I know I was amazed myself that I had not read it before the age of 23...I have no decent excuse).  I don't know what I will read next but I have a pile of books in my caravan to choose from.  I would say I'll keep you posted but you know how that would turn out.

For the past three weeks I have experienced incredible spring weather with sunny skies nearly every day and some wonderful horseback riding adventures around the farm.  Not to mention many trips to the Kilkea Castle and the Mullagreehlen National Forest a few km up the road.  But if I want to experience the beauty of the Irish countryside I need go no further than outside my door.  The Kilkea Lodge Farm is several hundred acres (reduced from several thousand) with views of the Wicklow Mountains, the Kilkea Castle and endless blue skies and green fields.  I have especially enjoyed watching the sunrise over the Mullagreehlen Forest every morning and watching it set upon the western horizon of the farm.  I am at peace here in Ireland for it would take more of an effort not to be tranquil in a place as lovely as this.  Marion, my host, can be a bit frantic at times, but on a daily basis my life is quite nice here in Castledermot where I can bike ride through the countryside and go for morning jogs through cedar groves.  I have also developed a rather unhealthy addiction to fresh egg fried sandwiches which I eat nearly every day for lunch...I just can't help myself when I bring in a new batch of eggs from the hen house...I have to at least sample one to make sure they are fit for consumption right?

I wish I had more to tell you about my exciting Irish adventures but to be honest Ireland isn't that exciting...and that's exactly what I love about it.  Everything here is simple, straightforward.  People say what they mean and mean what they say.  "There is a pleasure in the pathless woods" as Lord Byron would say and I have definitely found that pleasure here in Ireland.  It draws you in until you have no desire to be anywhere else.  I fear I will find it difficult to leave the comfort of such a place that nearly feels more like home than the grand ol' USA.  My Irish roots called to me and I have answered them.  This is a country I will continue to visit and love for all of the years I have left.  Enough words now...I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking.


Ok sorry no more photos 'til next time.  They take to long to load!  Love to you all and I will try to write again soon.  Note I did say try...

4 comments:

  1. Great post! It was worth the wait, but try not to stay gone so long next time (look who's talking... LOL).


    MISSTHECRAPOUTOFYOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. this will not go thru check your e mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, after 6 tries I got it to work. Glad to hear from you. Hope all is well and sounds like you are having a great experience. We hope to hear from you more again soon. We love you Emily. Carolyn, Gene and Grandma S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, So wonderful to read your recent post. I hope you are enjoying a lovely springtime in Ireland. I love you and miss you. Take good care of yourself. Love, Mom xoxoox

    ReplyDelete