Friday, April 15, 2011

My Favorite Week of Spring

It is now mid-April and Ireland is in full bloom.  The week I have been anticipating for 2 months is finally approaching and I am thrilled to be able to experience it before moving on to Norway.  You are probably wondering to which week I am referring...well my dear friends that would be the magical week of spring where the leaves on the trees are bright green, the tulips are in their prime and the blossoms on the trees release a wonderful fragrance that ensnares the senses and awakens the soul.  Yes indeed that week is finally here and I have been outside enjoying every minute of it.  Pheasants run along the fields and rabbits hop between the rows of newly planted Irish potatoes.  The songs of countless birds fill the air as towering, billowing white clouds roll across a fiercely blue sky.  The luscious green grass is softer than the finest silk and makes a perfect pallet for an afternoon nap in the golden sunshine.   I have spent so much time in the sun that its rays are beginning to appear in sun-kissed strands all over my head.  Ireland is very much alive once more after a difficult arctic winter and I am thrilled to be a part of the transformation.

Now before you exit this page with a sense of enraged jealousy, let me assure you that not everything is perfect in my idyllic week of spring.  I did unfortunately injure the head hen on Monday, something I am not very proud of, but karma has paid me a kind visit in return so the universe is balanced once more.  How did I manage to hurt a hen?  I’m afraid that is a story that must be told in person so you will just have to wait for the hilarious details.  I also had to spend one afternoon removing gobs of hair from a poor pony with Cushing’s syndrome.  Other than these two mildly unpleasant moments, I have been biking around the gorgeous countryside and hiking in the forest.

On Sunday, April 10th, I spent the day in Glendalough with Shella, the vet who owns Molly (the cart-horse who has been at the farm for 18 years and is 5 years older than me!).  We had a fantastic afternoon exploring the surrounding Wicklow Mountains, visiting the two lakes formed by melted glaciers, and gorging ourselves on well-earned ice cream.  It was a beautiful place that I plan to return to with Marion’s daughter Natalie before I leave.  If you ever have a chance to visit Ireland, make sure you mark Glendalough as a must see on your tour.  It is only about an hour from Dublin and I highly recommend it.



Next Thursday I will be traveling to Galway, the iconic gatekeeper of true Irish culture, where I will spend an afternoon exploring the city.  On Friday I will then journey to Connemara, considered to be one of the most stunning, wild locations in all of Ireland.  As I meet more and more Irish, however, I have found that everyone has their own idea about what parts of Ireland are the most scenic.  I suppose will just have to explore them all and draw my own conclusions!  Work work work :)

With only two weeks remaining I am starting to mentally prepare myself for another drastic culture change.  It has been nice living in a country where I can easily communicate with everyone, but I am ready for another challenge.  Hopefully Norway will be everything I have imagined and more.  Time will tell.  I will try to post again before I depart.  Much love to everyone and see you stateside in less than 4 months!  The time has flown by!

Em

3 comments:

  1. Emily - I was just looking for something to do tonight and thought I'll check out Emily's blog. Here you had written a beautiful message. It sounds like you have had a wonderful experience and that you are enjoying Ireland to its fullest. I wanted to wish you a very Happy Easter and to let you know that I have written to you on your e-mail. So, check it out. Got your postcard from Finland and loved hearing from you and the beautiful card. We will be anxious for your arrival back in the states and to get together and hear from you all of your exciting happenings. God Bless You and take care and be happy, healthy and safe. We love you!! Carolyn, Gene and Grandma S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ms. Emily! Just checking to see if there was an update. Hope you have arrived safely and finding your new adventure to be exciting and will fill us in soon. All is ok here. Take care and hope to hear from you SOON!! Love, Aunt Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! Just wondering how things are going in Norway? Drop us a note and let us know what you are experiencing there. We would love to hear from you. Love, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete