Saturday, November 6, 2010

First Day on the Farm

Wow.  I am so unbelievably tired right now.  Today is by far the hardest physical day I have ever lived through.  I started the morning with a brisk 30min walk to the farm from the guide house followed by the feeding and pooping of all 87 dogs.  This took up most of the morning since I was quite slow at the pooping part.  I just couldn’t help but to stop and play with each dog.  They are all so wonderful!  I think that Mars and Pluto are two of my favorites so far.  After the morning work we all had lunch together in the farm house.  Pasi’s parents are staying with us for the winter and his mother had made a great dish with carrots, onions and meat.  After lunch it was back to work.  Lotti actually took me training today so I got to harness a team and go for a few rides through the surrounding woods.  It was the experience of a lifetime.  I can’t believe I am going to get to do this everyday for the next 3 months!  It is difficult and will take some time to master but I already love it!  We took out two teams, the first one composed of Arvi and Max as leads, Pluto and Elvis as swing and Jopi and Ponde as wheel dogs, the second composed of Princess and Diva as leads, Mars and Elle as swing and Lassie and Peanut as wheel dogs.  It is going to take me some time to learn everyone’s name and personality but I feel like I got a good start today.  Lotti and I also saw a pack of reindeer while we were out sledding.  It was truly a magical day.  Once we were done with training it was time for one more feeding and pooping before the 30min walk back home.  I really did not want to walk back home by the end of the day!  It is all very strenuous but rewarding work and it is unbelievable how strong the dogs are!  I am so glad I came even though I know my body is going to ache in ways it never has by tomorrow morning!  It is worth the pain though! 

Well as I said I am ridiculously tired so I’m off to bed.  I will send another update when I get a chance!  Much love to everyone in the slightly warmer US…it was -22C this morning…)

3 comments:

  1. Hello Ms Emily!! Wonderful to get your new post and sounds like you have had a very successful first day on the farm. I just cannot believe it all, but it will hit me soon. It is a beautiful day here in Iowa. To be in the upper 60's which is really not usual for us. Will continue to watch for your wonderful updates and enjoy keeping up on your new experiences. Thanks for tatking the time to keep us informed. Sweet dreams and we love you. Carolyn Gene & Grandma I was able to copy off your blog and will send it to Grandma. She is so interested in where you are and what you are doing. Hard to believe for sure. Stay warm - happy - eat well. Smiles!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO FREAKING COOL.

    Those dogs sound AMAZING. I love their names. Please take lots and lots and lots of pictures of them. And definitely try to snag a video of you doing the dog-sledding, thats the memory of a lifetime!You are going to be SUPER STRONG when you're done.

    I can't believe you have already seen some reindeer! I did face painting at the Conway Arbor Day festival this weekend and painted soooo many reindeers on kids' faces. At first they looked great but after 2 1/2 hours with no help/breaks my hands were all shaky and they started looking like retarded ant-eaters. No beuno lol!

    We miss you over here, its been breathtakingly beautiful the past week. We're having an Indian Summer day today actually. We should have made some PJ trips before your send-off, but we'll just have to make up for that when you're back!

    Carry on with your awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. um dumb question but what are PJ trips?

    btw i wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete